Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Is Sarcasm the Highest Form of Intelligence?

A recent scientific study concluded that sarcasm is the highest form of intelligence. No, really, I’m not being sarcastic. And I’m not just saying this because sarcasm happens to be my personal superpower.
The study, conducted by a team of researchers at Harvard and Columbia, is titled, “The Highest Form of Intelligence: Sarcasm Increases Creativity Through Abstract Thinking for Both Expressers and Recipients.” (My my, what a short and pithy title, one might observe sarcastically.)

The research team tested the effects of sarcasm by first having volunteers engage in various verbal exchanges, some sincere and some sarcastic. Right after these interactions, the volunteers worked on tasks designed to measure their creativity. When the test subjects spent time in sarcastic conversations, they generally scored better on the creativity tests. The conclusion, according to the researchers, is that sarcasm is a good mental workout, which stimulates brain activity. 

When I was growing up, my mom used to tell me I was smart. And my dad also told me I was smart. (But in my dad’s case, he would say that I was “a smart,” and then add a three-letter word.)

Harvard’s Francesca Gino, who participated in the study, explained in a Harvard Gazette article: “To create or decode sarcasm, both the expressers and recipients of sarcasm need to overcome the contradiction between the literal and actual meanings of the sarcastic expressions. This is a process that activates and is facilitated by abstraction, which in turn promotes creative thinking in everyone.”
Well, that’s really wonderful. Thank you, science! I don’t think I should hesitate any longer to fire off snide and hilarious comments at all times and in all situations. After all, it will make everyone involved more creative. Wait, what did you say? Yes, that does mean there are times when I refrain from making sarcastic comments. No, not just when I’m asleep. What are you, a smart, um, guy?

Anyway, it’s important to define sarcasm. A simple definition is “witty mockery.” Some people are more witty than others, and some are more mocky than others. Then, of course, there are those of us who have an abundant supply of both wit and mock.

Sarcasm and irony are similar but not exactly the same. Irony is defined as “the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.” As an example, imagine a young mother as she watches her three small children burst into the house and run across the new white carpeting with muddy sneakers. She rolls her eyes and says, “I just love muddy sneakers on white carpeting!”

That is an ironic comment since it’s the exact opposite of what she thinks. Now, that situation would change to sarcasm if the young woman’s mother-in-law happened to be present and said, “Choosing to buy a white carpet with three small children was certainly a brilliant decision.”

Ooh, that’s gonna leave a mark. Mee-Maw’s comment contained irony — what she said was the exact opposite of what she thought — but it also included sarcasm, as there definitely was some mockeration going on there, namely, this passive-aggressive message to her daughter-in-law: my son married a moron, didn’t he?
So, from this example, I’m sure you can see why sarcasm is such a great verbal tool, which helps everyone involved become more creative and intelligent. In my example, Mee-Maw exercised her brain by coming up with a sick burn (as the cool kids say), and the daughter-in-law exercised her brain by thinking up ways to commit murder and not get caught.

So, when it comes to sarcasm, here’s the new rule: When in doubt, let it out! After all, who needs friends? 

No comments:

Post a Comment