Friday, August 21, 2015

The ‘Wait, What?!’ of the Week, August 21, 2015

The recently signed nuclear deal with Iran has been very controversial. President Obama insists the deal will prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons, while critics, including Israel, say the deal insures that Iran will get a bomb sooner. (And the fact the leaders of Iran repeatedly insist that they want to wipe Israel off the map makes the folks in the Promised Land, shall we say, a bit nervous.) All along, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has insisted that the deal will allow U.N. officials to inspect Iranian nuclear and military sites, guaranteeing that Iran cannot cheat on the deal.

Just this week, however, it was revealed that a secret side deal between the U.N. and Iran will allow certain Iranian sites to be inspected by … Iranian officials.

Wait, What?! The guys we don’t trust are the SAME guys who will be doing the inspections? Hmm, that’s sure to end well. Imagine that I’m a suspect in a bank robbery and the police come to my house. I tell them to wait on the front porch while I check to see if there’s any bank money in the house. A few minutes later I return and say, “Nope, I didn’t see any bank money here anywhere.” As they turn to leave, the cops say, “Thanks for your help, sir. Sorry to trouble you. Have a good night.”

(Another analogy I saw online: This agreement is “like letting an athlete suspended for drugs send in his own urine sample.” I suspect there will be about a million of these snarky analogies once the cyber world realizes what this agreement is all about.) 

When I first read the article explaining that Iran gets to inspect Iran to make sure Iran is not violating what Iran agreed to do, I thought it was a parody news website. Nope, it was the real news. Sometimes you just can’t make this stuff up.



No comments:

Post a Comment