Wednesday, March 23, 2016

‘Attitude of Gratitude’ Not Mere Platitude

A friend was recently injured in a terrible motor vehicle accident. She broke many bones and had severe lacerations. She incurred about seven separate major injuries, any one of which would have caused me to lock myself in a dungeon of intense self-pity.

After spending many days in ICU and enduring multiple surgeries, my friend finally was transferred from the hospital to a rehab facility to begin the painful and tedious recovery process. I went to visit her in the rehab facility, thinking that maybe I could cheer her up. Well, after spending an hour with her, the one who got cheered up was me.

L. is known by just about everyone who is involved with church music in Litchfield County. She’s a choir director at a local parish and probably the most spectacular soprano voice this side of Broadway. If you’ve ever been to a Sunday Mass or a funeral or wedding during the last couple decades and found yourself whispering, “Whoa, who is that singing?!” it probably was L.

When I visited her, she could tell right away that I’m not only tone-deaf in our choir, but also tone-deaf regarding bed-side manners. My first statement was, “Um, so what’s new?” (Immediately, a sarcastic little voice in the back of my head began chirping at me. “Oh, brilliant question, Bill,” it said. “What do you THINK is new with her? How late did you stay up last night coming up with that gem?”)

L. smiled and politely replied, “Oh, a lot is new since the last time I saw you.”

As it turned out, we ended up having a lovely chat, and I only said maybe five or six additional dumb comments. (The sarcastic voice finally gave up, realizing that I’m a lost cause.) What struck me most about our conversation was her profound sense of gratitude. She was very grateful that she’s alive. From what I hear, many of the amazing medical professionals who worked feverishly after the accident to save her life were pleasantly surprised that she did indeed survive. It was that close.

She also expressed her sincere gratitude toward her husband and children and parents, and many other relatives and friends, all of whom dropped everything the moment they heard the news and offered to help out. There wasn’t a hint of self-pity or “Why me?” in her voice. She was genuinely overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and concern by so many people.

During our conversation, we agreed that far too many people nowadays are not grateful for all the blessings they have. Some folks dwell obsessively on the relatively minor problems in their lives. Others are never satisfied with what they have and covet whatever they don’t have. Often, as soon as the particular item is acquired, it is promptly forgotten as a new object of desire takes its place.

So, in our one-hour conversation, we basically solved all of the world’s problems. OK, maybe not. But we did — or I should say, she did — make it clear that happiness is not based on external circumstances beyond our control. It is instead based on our internal attitude: being grateful for the numerous blessings we have and thankful for the opportunity to experience God’s amazing gift of life.

I continue to pray for a speedy recovery for my friend L. (And feel free to offer up petitions for this faithful sister in Christ.) When I visit her I’ll try to minimize the awkward comments. But I have to offer profound thanks to her for reminding me that gratitude is the key to serenity. She really cheered me up, and I am grateful for friends like her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment