Saturday, July 20, 2024

Be Careful What You Wish For, Grandpa

Our grandson, the Rhode Island Wonder Boy™, lives close enough so we are able to see him on a fairly regular basis. I know people whose grandchildren live on the other side of the county, and they get to see the kids maybe once per year. So, we are very fortunate. But, of course, we wish we could see our grandson more frequently.  

I wonder if that was the wish of a guy I met last month at a work event. He is about my age; that is, he’s getting close to retirement. He and his wife have been empty-nesters for many years. They live in a rural part of the state and have a nice swimming pool. Recently it was decided that their 14-year-old grandson would spend the summer at their house. 
They were looking forward to this, although with a little trepidation. After all, when a married couple in their 60s have the house to themselves, it can be somewhat disruptive to have a grandson suddenly living there 24/7. Also, this grandson is 14 years old. It’s been a long time since I was that age, but I do remember that at 14, I was, um, what’s the right word? Oh yeah, a jerk. Everything was raging: raging hormones, raging stupidity, and raging arrogance. I’m not saying every 14-year-old boy is like this. I’m sure there are one or two kids somewhere on the planet who don’t fit that mold. Well, at least one.

This reminds me of something I recently heard on the radio from a comedian. (I’m not sure, but I think it was Jim Gaffigan.) He observed that the Bible doesn’t tell us anything about Jesus’ teenage years, and he speculates it’s because even the Son of God was a surly teen. At a family picnic, one of Jesus’ uncles might have said, “Hey Jesus! Nice to see you. Wow, you’re getting big. How old are you now?” To this, Jesus rolled his eyes and said, “Duh. Here’s a clue: what year is it?”

Yeah, I know. Borderline sacreligious. But I thought it was funny.
Anyway, getting back to the guy I met recently. Right after he and his wife agreed to have their 14-year-old grandson spend the summer with them, he found out his daughter had just broken up with her boyfriend, and she was going to move back home. Plus, she was bringing her seven-year-old son. 

So, after having the house to themselves for quite a few years, these folks were about to host a 14-year-old grandson, their 30-something daughter, and a seven-year-old grandson. Talk about a drastic change — and I don’t mean just to the weekly grocery bill.

I suspect this fellow was a lot like me: he wished he could see his grandchildren more often. And I suspect he’s now muttering to himself, “Careful what you wish for.”

When I was talking with this guy, I said, “I’m sure it will work out fine.” But in the back of my mind I was thinking, “Yeow, better you than me, pal.”

Certainly, if either of our kids and/or our grandson suddenly needed a place to stay, we would welcome them with open arms. If there aren’t enough beds, someone can sleep in my bed and I’ll sleep outside in a tent. (And you know how much I LOVE camping!)

Familial love is one of the most powerful forces in the Universe. People do what they have to do to help out family members in need. That being said, however, when you’re in a comfortable senior citizen routine, having the equivalent of the D-Day invasion of Normandy show up in your living room just might be a little stressful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment