Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Hey Mr. Alpha, I’m Beta Than You!

Recently, I learned that supporters of one of the presidential candidates are in the habit of derisively accusing their opponents of being “beta males.” (Presumably they don’t say this to their female opponents, but you never know.)

I’ve heard of the term alpha male, which I think describes a take-charge, leader type of guy. I wasn’t sure what beta male meant, nor why it was an insult, so I looked up the definitions.

It turns out I was correct about alpha male. Here is one definition: “Alpha males are strong-willed leaders who love to take charge. Exuding charm and machismo, they’re known for their natural confidence and exceptional leadership abilities. They know what they want, never back down from a fight, and aren’t afraid of making waves to obtain their goals.”
The same article defined beta males this way: “Beta males are extremely kind and down to earth. Shyer and more reserved, beta males value personal relationships over material wealth or career achievements. They’re often associated with happy, long-term marriages and children that adore them. Betas are communicative, creative, and make great romantic partners.”

Um, OK, I don’t see at all where the term “beta male” could be considered an insult. I kept searching online, and found this comment: “Beta males never could’ve planned and executed the D-Day invasion at Normandy.” Well, I suppose that’s true. But on the other hand, the D-Day invasion of Normandy would not have been necessary if the out-of-control alpha males had not made such a mess of things. It seems some fellas think the best way to show off for the ladies is to invade a nearby country. Can’t they just tell a few jokes and buy them a drink?
It turns out there are multiple designations, as some psychologists apparently decided to give the Greek alphabet a real workout. Besides the aggressive alpha male and the laid back beta male, there are these additional “modalities of manhood”: 

Gamma males are the life of the party. They are equally creative and adventurous, and are generally fun-loving men of culture. They are loud and bombastic, and constantly on the move.

Delta males are very responsible and highly adaptable. They are competent with a strong work ethic, and love learning new skills. Deltas are dependable and unpretentious.

Zeta males are one-of-a-kind progressives and nonconformists. They don’t care what other people think and refuse to change in order to fit into a social category. Zetas are fiercely creative and trailblazers. 

Sigma males are confident mentors who are not interested in power or social status. They spend time helping other people, and often earn the respect of their peers, but don’t really need it.

Omega males are skilled introverts. They are independent and comfortable being alone. Omegas prefer to come up with brilliant ideas rather than socialize with others. They have a keen sense of humor, which is often uncouth.

Hmm, that’s probably more information than I wanted to know. It’s disconcerting enough to learn there is something called “modalities of manhood.”
Personally, I know I’m not an alpha, nor do I want to be, but I wonder if it’s possible to have some traits from multiple categories. If so, I should’ve joined the Beta Sigma Omega fraternity at college, because those are the modalities I identify with the most.

Being a Beta-Sig-O, I would rather shove a sharp pencil in my ear than get into a shouting match with a fervent supporter of either presidential candidate. But if it happened, and the other person derisively accused me of being a “beta male,” I would reply, “Thank you for the compliment. My wife, family, and friends are very grateful that I don’t possess the skill set needed to start a World War.”

No comments:

Post a Comment